Skip to main content

Week Two Story: Pygmalion in a New Light

Jean-Baptiste Regnault (1754–1829) Source
       Peter never really cared much for women, he never found much interest in them. He always though almost low of them, as if none of the women he surrounded himself with were good enough for him. Peter found himself obsessive over the women that he saw online, he saw them as untouchable pure beings. One woman, in particular, an Instagram model, he stumbled across one day and instantly fell in love. He obsessed over her photographs, hoping to potentially see her one day. He could not help but paint murals of her on his walls, print her photographs off and create collages, etc. He was consumed by her and her beauty. He wanted nothing more than to be with her, but she did not even know that he existed. In Peter's mind, she became his possession, his object, his creation. He developed something like a God complex over the woman, feeling as if she owed him something. He prayed over her every night, hoping to God that one day she would be his forever. Finally, one day he got his chance. He found out that the model would be staying in the city near his small town, and decided to take matters into his own hands. He was determined to make his presnence known to her, he had to have her. Nothing, no one, could stop him. At a "meet and greet" downtown he saw her for the first time. Dressed up, full glam, perfect in every way. He made his move. Now, I sit here as I write up the arrest report for Peter. I look over his case files. I find out his convictions and sentencing, it is interesting how little time one man can get in prison for stalking, abducting, and harboring a missing person. It is almost as if the girl did not matter at all, not to the law at least.


Bibliography:
Story source: Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline (2000).
Inspired by rapper J. Cole's song: "Photograph"

Comments

  1. Hi Mikayla!

    This retelling has a dark but very real twist. I think the idea of changing Pygmalion's obsession to an online obsession fits so well with internet stalking and crimes in society today (I wish this was not the case, but it is.) You did a really good job changing all the plot details to make them fit with modern technology and showcasing the dangers for women and a major flaw in the justice system. The reality behind your story saddens me, but I am impressed by your storytelling ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikayla! I absolutely loved your retelling of the story and even got goosebumps at the end. The way you introduced the ending was so subtle but so effective. There was no need for any morbid details, but the way you wrote it made it feel so vivid, especially since it is such a realistic ending. Something I did find myself wondering about was who exactly the narrator is. If they have access to the case files then they must either work in criminal law or are interested in reporting the story. Are they a news reporter writing a piece on the case? Are they a prosecution attorney that feels disappointed in the justice system because they didn't manage to get a longer sentence for Peter? Are they male or female? I think having a little bit more insight to the narrator's relationship to the story at the very end could make their feelings of disappointment so much more compelling. Overall it was honestly a great story that left me wanting to know more about Peter and narrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source

Week 7 Story: The Monkey King Continues

The Monkey King depiction:  Source        "One day I awoke. There was nothing before I existed, I was born of the rock and sculpted by the Heavens. I was a handcrafted entity that was untouchable for all my life, until now. I had my run-in with rebellion, I fought back with the Gods, I met with the Buddha, and I became a Buddha. I have a life full of journey and adventure, yet, I yearn for more."        It had been 12 years since the Monkey King had been seen, then, the news came. The Monkey King was going to come out of hiding, but only to train a new enlightened one. He would come out for just one year in order to find someone to fill his shoes, then, he would never be seen again. "I am tired of the responsibility, the weight that I carry on my shoulders is too much for one man, I need someone to carry on the torch" he exclaims, publicly to the town. "I need not this power that I carry, I will be training one new soul to take over my place, to be th