Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies

Feedback Infographic: Source


         In my experience, feedback is an interesting concept. We know about the growth mindset and how important it is, we know about feedback and constructive criticism, but what about how to directly help kids grow from feedback? I am just now finding out that saying "good job" to a student, can actually be harmful. There are so many variables, and often times, solely positive feedback does not help students grow. There are many nuances and factors that go into feedback that is important for everyone to learn, especially for me as a future secondary educator. Personally, working with kids, they thrive on feedback. They need feedback for their own security and development, but I am still figuring out what is the most appropriate way of dishing out feedback. According to an article by Alfie Kohn, saying "good job" to kids is actually sort of problematic. The idea of a "praise junkie" that Kohn writes about is close to home, reading about that made me suddenly aware of my own childhood as I would likely fall into that category. In an article published by Deborah Farmer Kris, she claims replacing generic praise with process praise is the best way to provoke growth in young minds, which I found incredibly insightful. Overall, I really enjoyed these two articles and I know that they will be helpful with my career as a teacher in the future. I feel better equipped to give students positive constructive feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source

Week 5 Story: The Modern Buddha

Buddha Figure:  Source          Of course, everyone knows the story of THE Buddha. But what about those doing good for others without recognition. Those people who do right in the world without anyone ever knowing? Well, that is what my brother aimed to do when we were young. We are old and tired now, but when we were young, my brother and I would travel around to the poorest areas in the villages at night. We would drop off bread, clean water, and other necessary material goods. We wanted to be anonymous. Of course, we went our separate paths and I got married and had children, but my brother devoted his life to the public without ever once being publicly known, he never wanted any fame or fortune, he did not want the attention. In fact, he wanted quite the opposite. My brother is dead and gone now, so that is why I have finally decided to tell his story.       My brother went to jail at age 17 and was away for 6 years. I do not want to go into the details, but he wanted to corr