Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: The Monkey King Continues

The Monkey King depiction: Source
       "One day I awoke. There was nothing before I existed, I was born of the rock and sculpted by the Heavens. I was a handcrafted entity that was untouchable for all my life, until now. I had my run-in with rebellion, I fought back with the Gods, I met with the Buddha, and I became a Buddha. I have a life full of journey and adventure, yet, I yearn for more."

       It had been 12 years since the Monkey King had been seen, then, the news came. The Monkey King was going to come out of hiding, but only to train a new enlightened one. He would come out for just one year in order to find someone to fill his shoes, then, he would never be seen again.

"I am tired of the responsibility, the weight that I carry on my shoulders is too much for one man, I need someone to carry on the torch" he exclaims, publicly to the town.

"I need not this power that I carry, I will be training one new soul to take over my place, to be the enlightened one. There are many markers of a proper Buddha, yes, but there shall be one tell-tale sign of who shall take my place. When that time comes, the world will be alerted," he continues.

Months pass, not a single update. Nothing is said or mentioned to the townspeople who were told that they would all be up for consideration in becoming the new spiritual leader, then the day came.

"While you all were waiting, I was watching. I sat back and watched. I saw how you all treated each other, treated your elders, your children, your neighbors. I watched how you treated nature, the plants that feed you and the animals that serve you. You were all waiting for a grand display and a time to showcase your goodly nature, but that is aside from the point. The way you act when no one is watching is the most important thing you can do for the earth's natural energy. Many of you only acted well when it was beneficial to you. I watched you worship and practice diligently, all while you had materialistic wants and ill wishes towards those around you. I saw the hypocrisy, the gluttony, the sin. From these displayed behaviors, I have made my choice. There is no way that any of you can be pure, not one is without fault. Therefore, my choice is simple. I expect the most recently born child of 5 years old to be offered up to me to be raised under my guide for one year. Then, once the child is molded to my liking, I will officially retire.

The small crowd of townspeople all gasp in horror, looking around for their families, their children. The guilt in their eyes was obvious, thinking of every time they had a sour thought or ill intentions. Women eagerly offered up their children to become the next enlightened one, but it did not matter. I already had the child in mind, I knew who he was. He was an orphan, no mother or father to indoctrinate him. The perfect innocent mind.


Bibliography: The Monkey King
Authors Notes: For this story, I really had no direction until I started writing. I imagine that in a lengthened version of this story, it would follow the journey of the young child becoming the next spiritual leader, where The Monkey King retired and enjoys a life of simplicity. Feel free to comment and suggestions down below, I am open to anything!

Comments

  1. Mikayla,
    Great story! I really enjoyed the telling of this story and the ending was a sweet one! The moral tied very well with it too! The orphan that no one really saw or spoke for was the perfect choice to take on the role of Buddha. I honestly do not have any suggestions! You did very well in portraying and letting the reader to understand the personality and role of the monkey king. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikayla! I really enjoyed this. It all flowed together so well. The ending was nicely done. My favorite stories always turn out to be ones that start out with no direction until the writing begins. It just happens and falls into place perfectly. I agree with Emily that the moral tied in so well. I don’t really have any suggestions! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikayla! A really great story. I enjoyed the moral lesson attached to it, the idea that it matters most how we behave when we think no one is watching. I agree with the Monkey King that that is how you measure someone's true character. I am excited to see how this story progresses. I find too that a lot of times I don't know what I'm going to write until I start writing it, and I think this actually went in a really good direction. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source