Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: The Modern Buddha

Buddha Figure: Source
         Of course, everyone knows the story of THE Buddha. But what about those doing good for others without recognition. Those people who do right in the world without anyone ever knowing? Well, that is what my brother aimed to do when we were young. We are old and tired now, but when we were young, my brother and I would travel around to the poorest areas in the villages at night. We would drop off bread, clean water, and other necessary material goods. We wanted to be anonymous. Of course, we went our separate paths and I got married and had children, but my brother devoted his life to the public without ever once being publicly known, he never wanted any fame or fortune, he did not want the attention. In fact, he wanted quite the opposite. My brother is dead and gone now, so that is why I have finally decided to tell his story.

      My brother went to jail at age 17 and was away for 6 years. I do not want to go into the details, but he wanted to correct all of his "wrongs" that he was sent away for, so that is why he was inspired to do what he did. He especially did not want to be known because of his actions, which are unimportant, but explain why he did not want the notoriety.
     
      He went on, day in and day out delivering goods to orphans, run-down villages, etc. He made sure that no one went without. He suffered every single day so that no one else would have to, and to me, that erases all of the sins that he may have ever committed in this life or any other life before this. He worked every day of his life in construction after he was released from jail, he kept his nose down, never made a scene, never hurt a soul. All he did was provide for those who needed it most. He worked all day, then once the sun set, he set out to deliver all of the goods that people needed the most. People called him the modern Santa Claus, the Giver, they referred to him as the Buddha. People did not need to know who he was, just the good he provided.

Authors Note:
So, I was unsure about where to head with this story. I had a few ideas in mind, but nothing really sat right with me. Obviously, I rewrote the story of a modern Buddha, a man who gave more than he gave to himself- a man who lived without want, and provided for everyone else. I really enjoy how this story came out, and I hope that I will be able to expand upon this story here in the future! I hope you find within this story, thanks for the read!


Comments

  1. Hi Mikayla! First off, I LOVE the premise of your story. The idea of someone who is so good, without seeking any glory, is an important one. I love characters that are just good people. Was there any particular tale that inspired your story? I am a big fan of the Buddha (heck I'm more or less a Buddhist) and would love to know which, if any, specific story gave you the inspiration for The Modern Buddha. In your Author's Note you mentioned that you weren't sure where the story was headed. What made you decide to take it in this direction? Were there other directions and ideas that you were contemplating following? I also really like the wrinkle that the dead brother had gone to prison for a number of years and that he was dedicated to making up for his past mistakes and actions. That adds another powerful layer to this character. One thing to consider would be to maybe give some details or hints as to what exactly landed him in jail. Even as I type this suggestion, there's a big part of me that loves the fact that it is unknown what happened in his past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikayla!
    I liked your story! This type of situation happens more than most people know! I do my internship at a homeless shelter and many of my clients have told me this same story in their own way. I wasn't sure where this story was headed, and when I got to the author's note you noted that you weren't sure where to head with the story either. I am not sure what the original story was, but what made you take it in this direction? I wonder how this story would have looked if it were done from the brothers point of view. I know it says he has died, but it could be cool to expand the story and maybe add a diary excerpt the brother found of his deceased brother. It could provide more insight on the brothers thoughts and could even make the reader question further about the unknown. I am also curious what led the brother to jail that in turn led him to live a life of service and gratitude! Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mikayla! This was a really awesome story. I like how you mention that the Buddha was selfless, but he also wanted to spread his teachings. The brother did not. All he did was try to bring as much good into the world as possible with his own two hands. I think that doing so much good definitely can cancel out past wrongdoings, and in the brother's case it did just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mikayla

    I enjoyed the rehabilitation aspect in this story. When we think of Buddha, we think of purity and goodness, not someone who wound up in jail. It is nice to see that even people who make mistake can be worthy of the same character traits Buddha possessed. I also liked how you made this feel like it could be anyone. The people who do good just because, or help others as a daily task seeking no reward. This story has a good moral and was a nice take on the Buddha ideals. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source

Week 7 Story: The Monkey King Continues

The Monkey King depiction:  Source        "One day I awoke. There was nothing before I existed, I was born of the rock and sculpted by the Heavens. I was a handcrafted entity that was untouchable for all my life, until now. I had my run-in with rebellion, I fought back with the Gods, I met with the Buddha, and I became a Buddha. I have a life full of journey and adventure, yet, I yearn for more."        It had been 12 years since the Monkey King had been seen, then, the news came. The Monkey King was going to come out of hiding, but only to train a new enlightened one. He would come out for just one year in order to find someone to fill his shoes, then, he would never be seen again. "I am tired of the responsibility, the weight that I carry on my shoulders is too much for one man, I need someone to carry on the torch" he exclaims, publicly to the town. "I need not this power that I carry, I will be training one new soul to take over my place, to be th