Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche, Part A

Psyche and Amor, also known as Psyche Receiving Cupid's First Kiss (1798), by François Gérard: a symbolic butterfly hovers over Psyche in a moment of innocence poised before sexual awakening. Source: Source

Reading Notes:
          Originally from Metamorphoses, also known as "The Golden Ass", is a tale about overcoming love and the psyche. Although I enjoyed the entirety Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche, my favorite story by far was "Psyche's beauty" as it displayed a different aspect of the overarching narrative. I thought that the text was the most intriguing of the section, and to me, told the best part of the story. The story opens on an uplifting positive note, the story is one of absolute beauty of the highest regards, "In a certain city there lived a king and queen who had three daughters of surpassing beauty. Though the elder two were extremely pleasing, still it was thought they were only worthy of mortal praise, but the youngest girl’s looks were so delightful, so dazzling, no human speech in its poverty could celebrate them, or even rise to adequate description" (Apuleius). The story itself is incredibly extravagant and ornate, flashy style language that draws the reader in. I really enjoyed the story simply because of the mythology behind it. I never really understood the origins of Psyche and Cupid, I always knew about them as apart of the lore, but I never had looked far into it, or had learned their stories. It is so interesting and they always have a deeper meaning that can be applied to our society. There is always some greater takeaway that can be had from these types of stories, some sort of lesson that can be molded to fit the everyday person. Overall, I really enjoyed the stories in Part A of this section, I look forward to reading the second half of Apuleius's story on Psyche and Cupid, I think the story is a wonderful addition to the curriculum and I am glad that I got the chance to read up on the lore.

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche: Source
Psyche's Beauty: Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source

Week 7 Story: The Monkey King Continues

The Monkey King depiction:  Source        "One day I awoke. There was nothing before I existed, I was born of the rock and sculpted by the Heavens. I was a handcrafted entity that was untouchable for all my life, until now. I had my run-in with rebellion, I fought back with the Gods, I met with the Buddha, and I became a Buddha. I have a life full of journey and adventure, yet, I yearn for more."        It had been 12 years since the Monkey King had been seen, then, the news came. The Monkey King was going to come out of hiding, but only to train a new enlightened one. He would come out for just one year in order to find someone to fill his shoes, then, he would never be seen again. "I am tired of the responsibility, the weight that I carry on my shoulders is too much for one man, I need someone to carry on the torch" he exclaims, publicly to the town. "I need not this power that I carry, I will be training one new soul to take over my place, to be th