Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology Part B

Image of Japan Source
       Like I said with the first half of the reading, I was really excited to be able to add some Japanese mythology into my portfolio. These are definitely stories that I will want to incorporate into my classroom someday as an English teacher. I really enjoyed how all of these stories strung together as a linear story but also worked as stand-alone stories. I really enjoyed the entire mythology as a whole, and I am glad that I got the opportunity to broaden my horizons with literature, as I do not get much exposure to world literature in my current field of study. I thought it was a nice change from the first half of the readings, and I thoroughly enjoyed the readings. My favorite story from the anthology was Japan: The Jewel Heart of Desire. This story is connected to the fish hook story from the same anthology and is based around Emperor Chiuai and the Japanese Goddesses as a whole. I really liked how short these stories are, they are super concise but tell a story that packs a punch. I found myself getting absolutely lost in the lore of Japan, and found myself in an endless Wikipedia and Google search trail to answer all of the questions that I had about the readings. It was like a rabbit hole of Google searches, and my thirst for knowledge could not be satiated. As a whole, I was very impressed with these stories, and I think that I have found a new love for Japanese Mythology, a love that I would not have found if not for being enticed by these readings. Like I said, I will be certainly incorporating these readings into my future classroom for cultural context. People need to understand that there is more to literature than the Euro-Centric view of literature. There are more mythologies than just the greek ones that have been white-washed in our culture. Overall, I am really glad that I got to read over the lore, and I am feeling very inspired to write my inspiring story this week over the first half of the readings. 
Bibliography: Japanese Mythology 
Focus Story: Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Teacher, Ex Wrestler

Hello Friends!         My name is Mikayla Chandler, I am a Junior here at the University of Oklahoma, and I am studying Secondary Language Arts Education. My go-to fun fact? I wrestled for 8 wonderful years of my life on an all-boys wrestling team. The years I spent wrestling were some of the most formative years of my life. If I was not studying to become a teacher right now, I would be training for the 2020 Olympics. The coolest thing about my major? I get to do what I love for the rest of my life. I cannot wait to teach English (hopefully on the high school level) to the next generation of young adults. I think it is beyond cool that I get the opportunity to become a teacher, I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. Last semester I was enrolled in 18 hours while working nearly full-time, so I guess I am not really sure what class is my favorite, they all made me cry regularly. My favorite class was honestly probably my Young Adult Literature class, taught by Dr. Bain

Comment Wall

The Cultural Depictions of Dogs:  Homepage Goofy, who is allegedly actually a cow, not a dog:  Source

Week 6 Story Lab: Biography

Personal image of my brother Jackson, me, and my boyfriend, Jake. (In order left to right) Hot Sauce when I was eight years old, I created new daily plot to kill my four-year-old sister I locked her outside in the “too scary” dark I rolled her down the driveway in my “too big” rollerblades I left her hanging at the mercy of the “too tall” monkey bars I always knew my little sister was different, shit, for a solid month of her four-year-old life the only word she would utter was “hot sauce” thus, earning her the appropriate nickname Hot Sauce it was not until eighth grade that I realized just how “weird” that kid was acting out in class, being sent home from school, never felt herself my senior year of high school, Hot Sauces’ freshman year we had a class together, physical science I noticed that the name “Jackson” made a reoccurring appearance across her notebooks The name scrawled in loving calligraphy obsessively across her lab journal s